Sunday 22 January 2012

winter blues

Winter has arrived.

I really shouldn't complain. Up until the last few days, I would describe this winter as unusually mild and pleasant. Aside from a bit of snow here and there and the odd cold day, it's been very bearable. Up until the last few days.

Friday was the day it decided to announce itself into my life.

Nic Ashley and I left work at 5:00 to catch the bus, thinking it would be a blizzard outside. I put up my hood and she wrapped her scarf around her head as we walked to the door, bracing for the worst. It was only a light snow that greeted us as we stepped outside. "Well this isn't so bad," I remarked. The bus pulled up a minute later, and we even managed to snag two seats beside each other.

Over three and a half hours later, we pulled into the bus terminal and I set to work removing the snow and ice from the car. Oh, and I still didn't buy a snow brush. I actually thought to myself that morning that maybe I could make it through another winter without one... take that, winter! Oops.

The bus ride was okay until we got over the bridge and there was a bus stuck on an offramp. We took the long way around, passed the stuck bus (and took their passengers), and continued on. At this point we were about two hours into the bus ride. Then, someone announced that the highway was closed... because of another stuck vehicle. We stopped for a bathroom break at a gas station thanks to our gracious bus driver (he really was excellent the whole time), and by the time everyone was back on the bus, the highway was reopened. We continued on... slowly.

So, that was my Friday night. The roads are still a mess in spots from the packed down snow, since we haven't had a sunny day to melt it off yet. I was hoping maybe today would be that day, especially since I had made plans to go skating at the oval with some friends. Winter has stepped in yet again, with a bitter temperature of -20 with the windchill. We may still go in the hopes that it warms up... hopefully I'll last for at least one lap.

To be even more of a whiner, I can't even take Trooper out for a walk when the weather is like this. All the salt on the road hurts his poor little paws... I think I need to get him some Muttluks. My only option until then is to take him out in the woods, but -20 isn't so inviting for either of us.

On the bright side... less than two months until spring!

4 comments:

  1. Muttluks are great! Another alternative are Pawz. They're reusable but also disposable. They come in a package of 12 so if you happen to lose or break one you can just take another out of the package. They don't allow water in because they are snug against the leg, and protect from salt, snow, glass, etc. I used to sell them when I worked at Global Pet Foods - they're fantastic! And a lot cheaper than Muttluks. http://pawzdogboots.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the link, Kristin! I'll be looking into those.

      Delete
  2. OMG! I totally forgot about the snow brush thing - we would have helped you clear off your car... I think that I was just finally so relieved to not be on a bus that I completely forgot.

    I hope that our bus adventure is the only one we have for the rest of the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, no worries... I got a good upper body workout by scraping it off with my arms.

      I also hope this. I also think I will be taking my car the next time it calls for any amount of snow.

      Delete