Sunday 8 January 2012

Sunday reviews

Happy Sunday!

Sunday has always seemed bittersweet to me... it's the last day of the weekend, which means a full work week looms on the horizon. However, it's the perfect day for sleeping in, sweatpants, and recharging your batteries.

I've just recently finished reading "The 7 Virtues of a Philosopher Queen," by Barbara Stegemann. This book was kindly given to me at Christmas by a coworker. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the back, but it was a surprisingly easy read. It's certainly targeted toward women (Philosopher 'Queen' instead of 'King'), but I'd recommend it to both genders. The book discusses the seven virtues (Wonder, Moderation, Truth, Courage, Justice, Wisdom, and Beauty), and how we can strive toward them in our lives despite challenges. This book is jammed full of knowledge, and while I did find some of the information to be a bit repetitive, it's the ideal read for anyone who is looking to step out and find their niche. I especially enjoyed the strong quotes that were scattered throughout the book, such as this one by Marcus Aurelius: "The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them knows anything about the subject."

Margaret Atwood's "The Year of the Flood" was another Christmas gift from my boyfriend. I've been a huge Margaret Atwood fan since reading "Oryx and Crake" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in high school for English classes. I blew through all the Atwood books in the library by the end of high school. Her writing style is fluid, her characters are engaging, and each novel has been hard to put down. "The Year of the Flood" was no different... the imaginative dystopia that she creates is frighteningly believable. I have yet to read "The Penelopiad," the novella she published previous to "Year of the Flood," but it is next on my list.

I picked up "The Happiness Project," by Gretchen Rubin, was a thought-provoking read that I picked up while browsing Cole's on my lunch hour. Rubin spends a year changing her life habits in order to improve her happiness--and it works! The chapters went month-by-month, with each month focusing on a different topic. I was instantly hooked, as January discussed decluttering and organizing... and I am a bit of a neat freak. It was the push I needed to file the important papers that had been shoved in a drawer in no particular order, donate a garbage bag full of clothes that I'd never wear, and organize the pantry. With Rubin's light tone, honesty, and insight, this book is a must-read. There are lots of supporting materials at this website, but you don't need to embark on your own year-long journey to benefit from this book... it's illustrates beautifully how small changes can have big impacts on how we think and feel, and it's a great reminder to slow down and enjoy life instead of just going through the motions.

As a result of these readings, I've started (barely... but started) what might eventually be called a novel, and I've contacted a few non-profit organizations in my area. I graduated a year ago with a Bachelor of Public Relations degree, and although I haven't found a PR job yet, I'd like to keep my resume current. Volunteering my services seems like a win-win solution... I get more experience producing communications materials, and the organization gets free PR work. In theory, at least, it will work.

If anyone has any suggestions as far as organizations that might need help, or ways to keep "on top" when you're not in work in your field, please do comment!

Until next time... be happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment